Thursday, January 27, 2011

I've been growing some mustard. Not much else yet.

I came back from cookery school on a bit of a food high, anything seemed possible. The perfect veg garden, the chickens, maybe even the pigs. The reality is that we have thousands upon thousands of rabbits in our garden. And my mum doesn't want chickens or pigs because apparently once I've gone off somewhere, she'll be the one looking after them. She's right of course.


So, I've sort of started a compost heap. (Very sort of) I've started growing some onions and I've, actually rather successfully, grown some mustard.



The funny thing about it is, that as much as I love to cook...it was the growing process that I found really exciting. Then I barely knew what to do with the stuff, there isn't really that much. So it is definitely the the process that holds the pleasure. 

There were a couple of potential set backs, I hadn't used the recommended compost (shock horror), there was mould growing before there was mustard growing. But, sitting tightly and watering when I remembered to, they grew!I celebrated the glory with a salad, the mustard may not be the main ingredient (that would be wierd and just too spicy) but it certainly adds some peppery pizzazz.

The moral of the story is, give growing a go, in your kitchen, on your window-sill, in your garden. You'll enjoy the results even if they are not an essential dietary need. I'm actually really proud of my little plastic trays. I'll keep you posted on the onions...there might be a bit of a wait. In the mean time, once February begins, it'll be time to plant my nasturtium seeds. Now that is going to be excting.

No comments:

Post a Comment