Saturday, February 12, 2011

Bill's Lunch...is it worth it?

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy the food at Bill's in Lewes. The aesthetics of the cafe teamed with the constant hustle and bustle create a lovely atmosphere. Displays of beautiful artisan breads, oversized pumpkins and hanging chillis really draw you in, making every item on sale an absolute necessity.

 I went on Mum's Birthday this week for a quick lunch. We both chose the same dish on the menu, a feta and cous cous salad.

 


As you can see it is a visual feast...but really, it's rocket, cheese and cous cous for a tenner. But I knew that when I ordered it. And I didn't feel over charged (not that I picked up the bill (haha)). What you pay for at Bill's is the whole experience, the queuing and other negatives that are often cited are from people missing the point. Bill's has achieved the incredible in terms of marketing, it's a cafe charging twice what it should and that's why people go. They might not realise it but it is. Everyone wants a bit of Bill's. Including me. And the salad was good by the way, for what it was. I know this has probably been a misleading passage, but I do feel slightly misled (in a positive way) every time I find myself in the establishment. Delight and bewilderment sit side by side, time and time again.


Joss turned her back on me because I didn't save her any feta.


No comments:

Post a Comment